Bigelow Laboratory’s annual open house July 31
What is it like to do ocean science research at an internationally acclaimed research institution?
On Friday, July 31, the public will have the opportunity to find out. Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences in East Boothbay will host its annual open house from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Scientists and staff will host a diverse array of tours and demonstrations, ranging from designing an ocean forecasting system to examining oyster parasites to participating in a lab-wide scavenger hunt.
The event is free and open to the public and community members of all ages are invited to engage in the cutting-edge science being conducted at the laboratory.
- 10:30 a.m. Short tour: Learn about the links between metals and marine microbes
- 11 a.m. See invisible cells with a FlowCam
- 11:30 a.m. Conduct experiments on oyster parasites
- Noon Design your own ocean forecasting system
- 12:30 p.m. Short tour: Discover how scientists are investigating marine microbes in the air and ocean
- 1 p.m. Explore the future of marine biotechnology
- 1:30 p.m. Meet Henry and Grampus, the autonomous gliders used to explore the Gulf of Maine
- 2 p.m. Investigate baby lobsters
- 2:30 p.m. Short tour: spotlight on technology – visit our super-computer and learn how we’re helping to keep Maine’s shellfish safe
Available all day
- Ocean Classroom: Conduct real science with hands-on experiments
- Main Hall: Decipher Minute Mysteries
- Main Hall: Grab a prop, snap a pic in our photo booth, and tag @BigelowLab
- Main Hall: View the Tiny Giants art exhibit
- Main Hall: Watch Five Reasons to Thank Plankton video
- Meeting Room: Design your own Plankton and coloring sheets
- Shore Road: Follow the Ocean Sunlight story walk down to the Shore Facility
- Shore Road: Decorate the road with sidewalk chalk
- Shore Road: Check out plankton from the river through a microscope
- Dock: Test your oceanographic skills using basic research equipment
Don't miss this summer’s open house at Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences, 60 Bigelow Drive, East Boothbay.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 207-315-2567, ext.103.